Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Imagine

While I was in the shower, the radio which my wife had set to an Oldies station, played John Lennon's "Imagine". I've always liked the song, the idea that we all could get along is a nice ideal to strive for.

It got me to thinking, with all of the groups around to promote understanding of a particular cause (CAIR, GLAAD, JDL ect.), why does it seem we haven't made any progress? The conclusion I came to was that these groups are not promoting an understanding, they are only pushing that those disinclined to their position accept it, no if, ands or buts. They do not care about your opinion at all. No compromise, no agreement to disagree. It's full acceptance or nothing.

Truthfully though, it doesn't matter whether you arrive at an understanding, they say fine, now we want this. No matter how much you allow them, they move the end zone and start crying about how intolerant you are.

What about understanding my side of the issue. That never seems to happen. If your religion says that you should kill me, a good way of getting me to try to understand the rest of your faith would be to definitively state that this is not your goal, or that is going to be what I'm going to be concerned about. The rest is unimportant if you are going to do me in because I won't join you.

I don't hate gays. I don't care if you're gay. I just don't want it in my face. Two guys walking down the street holding hands doesn't make me freak out, it just isn't my thing. But two guys tongue wrestling in public is as offensive as a guy and girl doing it in public. If you insist that I accept a person walking down the street wearing leather chaps and a jock strap with a harness vest on...it ain't gonna happen.

You may say thay I am intolerant or unwilling to understand, actually all I want is for my beliefs to be respected too.

Lennon's song was based on the idea that all things are equal, no judgement of anything, no Heaven, no Hell, no good, no evil. It not realistic, there is right and wrong, your opinion and my opinion of what falls where. Wishing it away doesn't change reality.

No comments: