Thursday, May 07, 2009

Good News...Bad News



I've still got a job for the time being.

That's the good.

The bad...I can't be sure for how long.

My company laid off one guy today, which sucks, but they are curtailing operation hours at our other sight and sending one of the Operators over to our yard (my sight produces more oil and gas).

A little more good news is that we're going on a shift schedule of 4-12's. Four days (7AM-7PM)--four days off--four nights--four days off. This has got to be better that the rotating shift I've been on for the last 5 years.

This is the schedule I've been living with (click to bigifiy if you want to see hell):



I'll still need a printed schedule to know when I'm where, but the 4-12's should simplify things a bit and I won't have to radically alter my sleep cycle on a weekly basis anymore.

Last night I was flopping from right side to left at least until 1:30 AM. I do remember watching "Red Eye" from 12 to 1, then dozing off after that, but I had to get up at 3:30 AM to make work by 5 AM. That makes for a llooonng day.

More bad news is that a percentage of our medical insurance is going to be shifted to the employees. The amount hasn't been set yet, but rumor is 20%. I can't say I'm thrilled about this, but I do still have a job.

Good News: I'll be working my shifts with someone I get along with. We know what's expected of the other and can hash out problems.

Bad News: My concern is our opposite shift. Are we going to walk into 4 days of the things that should have been done being left for us to do? I won't worry about it until it happens, but it's floating around in the back of my mind.

Unknowns: For the first time in my working career, I've got 3 weeks vacation..there is a rumor that we will be limited to two weeks. I'll find out tomorrow. The other unknown is I'm bottom of the list seniority-wise, unless they decide to count the 2 years I worked as a contract worker. In that case I'm 2 months ahead of the next guy. That will depend on who the owner and Foreman consider the most expendable.

If I get laid off, that's just the kick in the butt I need to get the hell out of California. I can be broke anywhere and I know I'll find another job somehow.

No comments: