Saturday, April 01, 2006

Jill Carroll Is Free


I held off on writing about this until some time had passed. The video that was put out along with her release was one of those times where you have to look at the situation and weigh your gut reaction with what was really happening.

We had a woman who had been held for 4 months by terrorists and would say anything to be free again. So, was it was a matter of fear, Stockholm Syndrome, or actual conversion.

Once safe from the terrorists she immediately stated that what she said on tape was coerced and done so she could get her freedom.
“During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed,” she said in a statement read by her editor in Boston.

“Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not.”

She also gave information to the military on what she knew about the terrorists and other hostages. She did what she felt she needed to do to survive while in the terrorist's control, and there is no dishonor in that.
“I will not engage in polemics. But let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes,” she said.

No comments: