Monday, December 31, 2007

I Think My Spleen Is Gonna Burst!

I mentioned below that I was pissed at my job. Well, it's the end of the year, so I'm going to rant a little about my work environment.

The company I work for hasn't generated positive income for over a year. This was due to lack of basic maintenance that started long before I arrived four years ago. I've seen records of things that are "required" bi-annually that haven't been done in 19 years. The "foreman" will not give true answers to the owner about why things won't work right, and the Operators (I'm one of them) get blamed for the shortfall.

As to the Operators, literally half of them do not understand the principles of the system (There are only four Operators). The concept of the gas has to go through these lines and fluid though through the others, even though they will meet up again farther down the line, is beyond them.

We have no set of tools at work, some, but never what you need. When I first started here, I would bring my personal tools in to do a project, but when I'd get them back broken, or see someone using a screwdriver for a chisel and then shatter the handle with a hammer and try to tell me "It must have been a cheapo", that ended that.

The reason I'm so PO'd right at the moment...I'm working graveyard, it's a babysitting shift, keep things balanced and handle the unexpected. I'm not there, but I would be willing to bet that some people sleep through most of this rotation (seems like it when you relieve them). I don't!, I'm at work, and I'm getting paid a shift differential to be there. We do have basic satellite TV, but unless you're really into "Paid Programing" there isn't much on that is stimulating.

The "foreman" pulled the modem for the internet over this "weekend" (6 days with the holiday). I use reading the Rott and other sites as a way to keep track of time. Two or three articles, it's been about 30 minutes, time to make rounds again.

The pulling of the modem only happens when I'm on graveyard. This is the third time he's done this. There is no discussion of anything I've failed to live up to or anything, it just seems to be a power play against me. The latest, I would guess, is because I was going to hook up a piece of equipment over the Christmas Holidays and we didn't have a 1/2" to 1/4" bushing to finish the job. I wasn't going to have a $1.59 fitting delivered on the Christmas weekend, and we've scavenged everything in the yard (I looked for two days). It was so important that it still isn't done.

While I'm not anything close to a hacker, I do know more than most about how computers work. I can track most peoples use of the internet on a machine through histories and archived "temporary" internet files...I know where you've been and how long you were there.

If anyone in Texas, Oklahoma or there abouts has a job open, I'm looking.

No comments: