Friday, January 13, 2006

Little Teddy Needs a Time Out

"And if I'm going to be denied that, I'd want to give notice to the chair that you're going to hear it again and again and again and we're going to have votes of this committee again and again and again until we have a resolution."
--Senator Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.)

This had to be the only enlightening moment of the whole four days of the Alito hearings. Teddy was going to hold his breathe until he got his way. All this over a document not written by Alito, from a group (Concerned Alumni of Princeton) he only had a tenuous affiliation with 25 years ago.

Thirty-four years ago when I was idealistic, I signed a petition to allow the Communist Party to get an initiative on the ballot. I knew it wouldn’t pass, even if it got enough signatures, but I felt they had the right to put it up to a vote.

Somewhere, I’m sure, in a little skinny folder at FBI headquarters is a note that I supported the Communist Party in 1972.

I swear that not now, nor have I ever been a member of the Communist Party. I was a Democrat, but they were different back then.

CAP was founded to support the ROTC program at Princeton (Alito was in the ROTC) whereas the rest of the student body was burning the ROTC office down. If an organization supported something that was important to me, I’d join.

Okay, CAP also was against affirmative action to increase minority attendance, I agree with CAP, and the school going co-ed. I suppose we should ask Senator Clinton, graduate of Wellesley College (all female), what the law is about denying admission due to gender is.

Back to the document (the Rusher papers) that Senator *hic* Kennedy was so adamant about: the Rusher papers, along with other records at Princeton, "give no indication that Judge Alito, who sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, was among the group's major donors. He was not an active leader of the group, and two of his classmates who were involved and Mr. Rusher said they did not remember his playing a role." by New York Times reporter David Kirkpatrick

The “Chappaquiddick Swimmer” has once again pontificated from his high moral position only to be shown as a clown by the facts.

No comments: