Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cavuto v O'Reilly On Gas Prices

HT: Hot Air

I like Cavuto. He seems to be very up with business and how it affect politics and can explain it well.

O'Reilly, I can take him or leave him. He was my original draw to Fox News, but I tired of him over the years. Now I'll leave it running if he's on, but I don't schedule my day around him.

One area that O'Reilly pushes my buttons is when he goes off on oil. Here's a video with Neil and Bill going at it:



I love how Cavuto quietly explains how Bill is picking numbers that fit his position and ignoring those he doesn't like. Bill starts raising his voice to prove his point saying he likes "these numbers", even though they relate to different periods. Neil quietly tells Bill to "stop yelling at me".

Bill's big point was that oil prices have dropped 33% and we haven't seen a 33% drop in the price of gas. One thing that was pointed out and Bill didn't want to hear was that even though the price of oil had increased threefold, the price of gas had not even doubled.

I buy gas also. I have the same heart attack as everyone else when I fill up. Hell I've got a 30 gallon tank on my truck and if I don't catch it before 1/4 tank, at $4.00/gal.,the damn pump cuts me off before full ($100). I've also worked in gas stations, the cents they make on each gallon has to be able to pay for the next load coming in. The price drops slower that it goes up because you have to guess what that next load is going to cost.

I haven't seen a 33% decrease in the price, but it had gone down 28% as of last week when I bought gas, but the price of oil shot up $2 today after dropping $10 over the previous two days. You tell me what the dealer is going to pay for the some thousand gallons of gas he's ordered so you can make snide comments to the poor SOB working the cash register.

No comments: