Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Someone Stole My Cat ...Again!!!

It's not the first time it's happened, and probably won't be the last, but it seems that about every two years some asshat decides to steal my cat.

She's been missing for about four days now, so if history is any indicator, she should be back in the next day or so. Whoever has her will get comfortable with trying to keep her in the house, and she'll make her break and be back home banging on the front screen wanting to be fed.

Long ago we had a kitten take up residence in my company's yard and the guys and I started feeding it. It lived in a shed and just hung around like cats do. The only problem was the few times it would get locked in the shop at night, we had motion detectors and the third time the boss got called at 2 AM because of the cat, he said it had to go. My wife had recently lost a cat, so I figured to earn some brownie points by bringing home a new kitten.

This was a brilliant idea on my part. Being responsible pet owners, we took her to the vet for all the shots and get it spayed/neutered. We found out it was about 6 months old and pregnant (little slut). That was vet bill that ranked up there in the "holy crap!" range. Oh, boy, a free kitten.



Isn't she gorgeous?

She lived in and out of the house for a few years, but gradually just started spending more time outside. Now, she never comes in the house. She's always around, but prefers to live in the garage. The highlight of her day, outside of getting fed, is when I come home so she can get on the hood of my truck with the warm engine and crash out.

Tessa loves everyone. If you're walking down the street, she's up on our front wall waiting for the pets due her regalness. I've watched little kids pick her up upside down and she just tolerates it. That's the problem, for some reason these people who have seen this cat at my house for weeks, decided they are going to give her a better life and they take her.

We tried collars with tags, but we always got the breakaway kind, and after losing the fourth collar in 6 months, we gave up.

For 12 years, she's come back, so I'm going to believe she'll be back again shortly. I miss her greeting me on the front porch no matter what time I get home. Of course the usual position I recognize her in is:

No comments: