Monday, August 25, 2008

Countdown

One more day at work, then ten days off. Vacation...a real vacation. My last two vacations had to deal with my Dad's passing, necessary, but not overly relaxing.

This one's for me. Thursday, I drive to Phoenix and meet up with two of my best friends, both from college (ASU). I was enrolled, they actually graduated. We belonged to ΘΔΧ, at the time I was there we were about a step to a step and a half above "Animal House". Our chapter got kicked off campus and folded about three years after I left, but damn, those were some fun times.

Steve, the guy who still lives in Phoenix, actually Glendale, but it's all one big metropolis now-a-days, has made plans to my liking for a vacation. He just had a pool put in so we're going to sit in the pool, drink beer and watch football on the TV he's going to move outside. Except for the big plan of going to Laughlin for one day and leaving a bunch of money in their Video Poker machines, it's just float, eat, drink and BS for 4 days.

Pam, Steve's wife, is a paragon. She has put up with our get togethers for all these years, and still says she loves us. She has always denied it, but I think she hated our guuutttsss!!!! back in college before they were married. We were constantly trying to drag Steven into doing stupid stuff with us. She was right, but we felt she was keeping Steve from having fun.

Pam you were right, and most likely the reason he's still alive today.

The other guy is flying out from Alabama with his wife. Joe has been a rock in my life for the last 20+ years. He's a psychotherapist and boy have there been times I've needed one. He's always been there for me, as long as I remember the time difference (he did chew my ass out once for calling at 11PM..1AM his time on a weekday, and I haven't forgotten since). He knows me better than most and goes beyond "Councilor Troi" crap of "How do YOU feel about that?" and gives his opinion. I never follow his advise, but a year later, I can see he was on the right track.

Joe's wife, Jaana, is coming with him. This is a rare treat for me. I've seen her just twice since they got married, long ago. She's Finnish and between my decrepit hearing and her accent...we have some interesting conversations. She's a beautiful person, both physically and mentally. I've called many times when Joe wasn't home and held long conversations with her. She has always accepted me as a friend of Joe's, therefore I'm a friend of hers.

I am soooo looking forward to next weekend!!!

Dana, if you've dropped by, Steve has to work Saturday, so I'm free for lunch. We can meet somewhere. You don't know me and I'm sure you don't want some freak from L.A. knowing where you live. I'll try to get in touch in the next few days. Also any Rotties in the area, I'd love to meet ya. Drop an E-mail, it's on the sidebar.

No comments: