Friday, November 23, 2007

Do You Know?



Do you know what his is? I'll be honest, I wouldn't have known until I read this story today: The Pennsylvanian Flag Could Get a Name Change. while cruising through the FOXNews site.

Pennsylvanians are having an identity crisis when it comes to their state flag: Hardly anyone in the state can identify it. Now state lawmakers are considering a proposal to remedy that by literally adding the word "Pennsylvania" to the flag.


The reason this caught my attention was at my old company we had a 65 foot flag pole flying the Stars and Stripes, but below that we flew this:



I can't tell you the number of people who would drive into our yard and start going absolutely nuts about "How dare we fly a commie flag!" After explaining that that the flag belonged to the commie state of Arizona, we'd get a five second blank look, followed by "Oh, well.... never mind."

To us there were two sides to flying that flag, One was both the owner's son and I attended Arizona State, so we had an affection for the place, the other was Arizona doesn't have an oil industry, so therefore, no regulations. We said we just decided to secede from Kalifornia.

To be honest about the whole thing, I went to a site with all the state flags and unless the name was on the flag, I only would have know Alaska, Texas, New Mexico and the territory of Puerto Rico.

No comments: