Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Headin' South


It was touch and go for a bit, but I've booked my flight to Georgia for the 24th of this month for Chris' graduation from Boot.

I have "AAdvantage" tied to my debit card, so if I select "Credit" instead of "Debit" I get miles on every purchase. It doesn't change the way they rip the money out of my account, but I get "miles". I used some a year ago to fly up to Portland Oregon and I really wasn't impressed with the savings. It may have had something to due with my flights were booked on an affiliated airline (Alaska instead of American Airlines).

This time though, the total cost Bob Hope Airport (Burbank) to Atlanta and back...$31.00!!! $10.00 ticket fee, $20.00 because I had to get something straightened out over the phone instead of the internet and some BS $1.00 fee for who knows what. That's close enough to flying free that I can't bitch.

With this saving, I can afford to rent a car for the week no problem. Not only can I rent a car, but I won't have to go with an econobox for the 500 miles I'll have to cover (Atlanta to Ft. Benning to Ft. Rucker to Tuscaloosa and back to Atlanta). Driving that far on unfamiliar roads in what looks like iffy weather, I'll feel much better in a wide track, heavy sedan rather that an underpowered recycled beer can with skinny tires.

Ft Benning has on base rooms at $37.50/night, but my Army brat foreman pointed out that it's Federal property and "No Smoking In The Rooms!" I'd rather pay an extra $30/night and not have to deal with that.

I asked Chris what he would like to do on his free time and he said "IHOP and Papa Johns Pizza". I'm guessing he's a little tired of Army chow. Even still, he's gone from 142 pounds to 154. When he went in he needed to gain 12 pounds to meet his BMI, so he's cleared that.

From what he tells me, he's going through "Boot Camp Lite". They have made sure he knows which way to point the rifle, he can stand in formation and he can salute. They've done a couple of march and sleep in the field, attack a hill, march back. He's complaining that there are days where they just seem to sit around. His platoon is made up of guys that are going onto technical stuff for AIT, there are no infantry guys with them. When he goes to Rucker for AirOps training, the infantry guys get to enjoy Benning for another 6 weeks.

I had to go back to work today and they tried to depress me with doom and gloom crap going on there, but I'm going to be in a good mood for the next 4 weeks. It's going to be a shock when I get out there, to see my son transformed. He's gone from a slacker to a soldier in just a few months. A few weeks ago he was hot to get rated as a Paratrooper, but now he says that would be nice, but he'd really like to go for Pathfinder (DON'T TELL HIS MOM!!!).

No comments: