Wednesday, May 02, 2007

May Day - An Actual Follow Up

I've often promised to do a follow up on a post and got sidetracked to where it wasn't pertinent anymore and dropped it. Not this time.

Picking up my paperwork for the drug test at the other site worked well, they said there were people everywhere in the morning. The staging area was bout two blocks north of my work site. I'm sure I passed the test as I made sure the have used only my finest drug, so they should be impressed with the high quality of my sample.

After depositing my sample with the clinic and starting into work, I heard on the radio that the parade was just starting, so by the time I got to work, most of the marchers had moved north. (I wonder why that direction was picked? Maybe it's a genetic thing and that's just the direction they have to move.)

What I did see was lots of street vendors selling American flags and those God-awful 3 foot plastic horns that they sell to the guy behind you at at sports arenas. All-in-all I wasn't affected by it to much, but one of the guys I work with went into the Jewelry District which was right in the middle of the whole thing to buy something for his new girlfriend, and all the stores had decided to close for the day. He says he may take that as a sign that maybe he should slow down with her a bit.

The bad side of this demonstration seems to have come at the after party get together. A couple thousand gathered at MacArthur Park and after a couple cervesas, decided to toss the empties at the cops. The news this morning said they hit a motorcycle officer in the head while he was riding by. This got the cops a tad PO'd and they decided the party had gone long enough. The order to disperse was given and they started herding the crowd towards the exits. The crowd didn't move and the police used rubber bullets and pushing to get them to comply. The reason for the crowd not complying, is being put forth, that the order was not given in a language they could understand. Number one, I would be willing to bet that the cops did give the order in both English and Spanish
, and what difference would it make if they didn't?

Today I read that the trouble makers weren't part of the community, that they were anarchists. Well hell, if you're going to associate yourself with these asshats, you are going to be rolled up with them when they do their thing. Look at who sponsored your little parade.

No comments: