Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Smell and Memory


It's been said that smells will evoke some of the strongest memories. My wife bought a new brand of one of those under the rim toilet bowl thingies this week and it has a lime scent. For the last two days I have had this overwhelming urge to go out and find those damn lollipops that were sold with something like 30 of them wrapped in a sting of cellophane.

I always craved the cherry ones, but through my own rules, known only to a kid of around eight, I had to eat them in order. I wasn't big fan of the lime ones but got them down anyway. Perhaps because of these lollipops and rolls of Life Savers (same rule) that the smell of sugary lime thows me back to those days.

Of course, being I had to eat my way through all the flavors I didn't really want at the time could have been a factor in why my teeth have so much silver in them I'm surprised I haven't kicked from mercury poisoning.

No comments: