Thursday, June 01, 2006

I Ain't Dead Yet.

Ever had one of those times in your life where everything seems to dump on you at the same time? That's been my life for the last few weeks.

It started with a busted garage door. The winds caught it, and after a couple of slams up and down, it decided to explode. To install the new door, they need 8 feet of cleared space. My garage was originally set up for a wood shop, but with the hours put in trying to save my old company, then changing jobs and going on a rotating schedule, the garage turned into unorganized storage. If I was going to clean 8 feet, I was just going to go ahead and clean the whole thing and get it back into a work space.

This would have been enough to deal with over a week or so, but now the city has decided that after 35+ years of ignoring our street, they will repave it. The only catch is that they want to put the utilities underground and will require each homeowner to come up with $7,000 each to trench and run conduit to the houses. Knowing that the city is just going to get whatever contractor is available, we have had to form a homeowners association to hire our own contractor. So far, we have almost been able to cut the cost in half, but it is time consuming trying to get a majority of 50 votes on anything.

Going back to the garage door, I had finally gotten to a point where the installers could get there work done and had called and set an appointment, when the wife called and informed me that my kid was at the dentist and needed two fillings and a root canal. In less that 20 minutes I had managed to spend $2,000. I have it, but it makes me dip into funds that I would rather not fool with (sets a bad precedent).

The good news is that the oil company I work for has finally made some progress, after 2 months, in fixing the busted well that has had us shut down. Hopefully we should be back running in about 2 weeks.

The news, what I've been able to see, has just disgusted me. I'm pissed at the Repub's, who have become a bunch of elitist's. They have adopted the same attitude as the Dhimi's of "Just sit back and we'll decide what is best for you".

Hopefully, life will start to smooth out and I can get back into the flow of my old life in the next week or so.

1 comment:

GUYK said...

One of the reasons that I moved back to the rural area was I didn't like the idea of a city deciding they were gonna do something and then expect me to pay for it. I went through that once with a water system that I didn't need because I had a well but was still forced to pay to hook up and another time with a septic system which I didn't need but was forced to use. This time I bought far enough out and away from any city I doubt that we are ever incorporated by a town and stuck with the fees and additional taxes.