Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Station Fire

As I approached home today, my little valley smelled like a doused campfire and looked like it too. Thick with a wet cloying miasma. I felt like a fish being smoked.

My boy was ragging on me about not posting pictures of "the biggest fire to hit La Crescenta" and he wanted to see. I had the camera in the car with me last night, so I figured I would drive around "upper" La Crescenta and take some shots of how close the fire got to the homes.

THE MAN wouldn't let me!!!

If you don't have ID saying you can be there, you can't cross Santa Carlotta Rd. The Sheriff's were polite, but I couldn't get close to the burn areas.

I've lived here for over fifty years and this is the first time I've seen the San Gabriel Mountains burn on their front face. Two days ago it was scary. My house down at the bottom of the valley was safe, but I know a lot of people living up close to where the flames were and I really feared they would lose their homes.

If this had sprung up a month from now, when the Santa Ana winds (pronounced Santana) kick in, it would have really been hell on earth.

I did get a couple of pics before the cops chased me home:\





The mountains you can't see are huge (not speed bumps like the Appalachian "Mountains").

The wind is calm today so maybe the fire crews can gain more ground on this today.

I'm off for the next seven days, so if I can sneak up close, I'll try to get more pictures.

No comments: